You want to buy a new NVIDIA graphics card and get the best one at the best price. Our RTX 4080 Vs RTX 4090 reviews will help you with this. We’ll compare two of the best and newest graphics cards from NVIDIA to help you decide which is best.
- In the gaming benchmarks, the RTX 4090 did better than the RTX 4080. It averaged 133 FPS in 10 games at 4K, while the RTX 4080 averaged 107 FPS, a 24.3% speed boost.
- Compared to the RTX 4080, the RTX 4090 is a very power-hungry card. On average, it uses 69 more watts than the RTX 4080, making the RTX 4080 23.3% more efficient.
- The RTX 4090 costs $1,599, and the RTX 4080 costs $1,199, so the RTX 4080 is about 33.4% less expensive than the RTX 4090.
- The RTX 4090 has 24GB of memory, 16384 CUDA cores, and a BUS width of 384 bits, while the RTX 2080 has 16GB of memory, 9728 CUDA cores, and a BUS width of 256 bits.
|Technical Specs||NVIDIA RTX 4080||NVIDIA RTX 4090|
|Architecture||Ada Lovelace||Ada Lovelace|
|Process Size||4 nm||4 nm|
|Transistors||45,900 million||76,300 million|
|Base Clock||2205 MHz||2235 MHz|
|Boost Clock||2505 MHz||2520 MHz|
|Memory Size||16 GB||24 GB|
|Memory Speed||716.8 GB/s||1,008 GB/s|
|L2 Cache||64 MB||72 MB|
|TDP||320 W||450 W|
|Release Date||Q3 2022||Q3 2022|
|MSRP||From $1199||From $1599|
|Best Variants||Best RTX 4080||Best RTX 4090|
Both graphics cards use NVIDIA’s Ada Lovelace design, which came out at the end of the third quarter 2022. But there is a slight change in how the GPUs are set up. The RTX 4080 has the AD103 GPU, while the RTX 4090 has the AD102 GPU. Does that change things a lot? The answer is yes, regarding how far your graphics card can go.
AD102’s higher configurations make it the best GPU. Compared to AD102’s 608 mm2, AD103’s die size is 378.6 mm2. AD102 has more transistors than AD103. The RTX 4080 has 45,900 million transistors, whereas the RTX 4090 has 76,300 million.
Other than configurations, the two cards share the same architecture. Remember that they were launched simultaneously but for distinct audiences.
Clock Speeds And Memory
Because memory type, size, and clock rates affect graphics card performance, this is another crucial factor to consider when selecting a card. In this way, these two cards play on distinct levels.
The base and boost clocks are similar, with the RTX 4080 having a base frequency of 2205 MHz and the 4090 2235 MHz. The RTX 4080 and 4090 boost clock speeds are 2505 MHz and 2520 MHz, respectively.
Also, check out our separate post on Z690 Vs Z790
Memory type, size, and speed distinguish the cards. The RTX 4090 has 24 GB of RAM, while the 4080 has 16 GB. Both contain GDDR6X memory; however, the RTX 4090’s 384-bit BUS width is roughly 50% faster than the 4080’s 256-bit.
A faster BUS and higher transmission rates make the RTX 4090 GPU powerful. The RTX 4080’s memory bandwidth is 716.8 GB/s, whereas it is 1008 GB/s.
AI And Ray Tracing
The RTX 4090 is more powerful but differs in AI and ray tracing. AI-accelerated graphics performance is unmatched with 3rd-gen DLSS and 4th-gen tensor cores. Both 4000 NVIDIA cards have Optical Flow Acceleration. Machine learning and AI augmentation will raise FPS when gaming on your GPUs.
As said, their configuration differs. The RTX 4080 has 304 tensor cores, but the 4090 has 512 tensor cores. The RTX 4080 has 76 3rd-gen RT cores, whereas the 4090 has 128 of those cores.
NVIDIA carefully designed the RTX 4080 and 4090. Both cards use the 30-series dual-fan design. The RTX 4080 is bulkier than the 4090.
RTX 4080 is 0.2 inches longer than RTX 4090. It’s also 5.5 inches wider than the RTX 4090’s 5.4 inches. The cards are the same height. Their designs are comparable to NVIDIA’s 3080 Ti graphics card, but the RTX 4080 and 4090’s cooling fans are more extensive, indicating that the business has focused on cooling.
RTX 4080 Vs RTX 4090: 4K Gaming Benchmarks
Both cards have great specs. However, gaming benchmarks reveal their real-world performance. To assist you in deciding, we tested the RTX 4080 and 4090 in 10 games at 4K resolution and collected their FPS, power usage, and temperature data. Testing Games on YouTube utilized this setup for these benchmark testing.
- CPU: Core i9-13900K
- GPU 1: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4080 16 GB
- GPU 2: NVIDIA GeForce RTX 4090 24 GB
- Motherboard: ASUS ROG STRIX Z790-E Gaming
- Memory: G.Skill Trident Z5 RGB 32 GB DDR5 6000 MHz CL 38
- CPU Cooler: Be Quiet! Dark Rock Pro 4
- SSD: 2 x Samsung 970 EVO M.2 2280 1TB
- Power Supply: Corsair RM850i 850 W
- Operating System: Windows 10 Pro
A Plague Tale Requiem
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 averaged 111 FPS, whereas the 4080 averaged 75 FPS.
- NVIDIA RTX 4090 outperformed the 4080 by 48% performance boost.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 uses 402 watts, while the 4080 uses 320 watts.
- Both cards were 60 degrees Celsius, showing that the RTX 4090 uses more power but produces less energy.
- Both GPUs struggle in Cyberpunk 2077, with the RTX 4090 achieving 73 FPS and the 4080 56 FPS.
- Based on FPS data, the NVIDIA RTX 4090 is about 30% faster than the 4080.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4080 uses 288 watts, whereas the 4090 uses 363 watts.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090’s 53 degrees Celsius is more efficient than the 4080’s 58 degrees Celsius.
Forza Horizon 5
- In Forza Horizon 5, the NVIDIA RTX 4090 had 183 FPS compared to 154 FPS at 4K.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090’s Low 0.1% and 105 FPS were outstanding.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4080 used 291 watts, but the 4090 used 33 watts more, reducing the power usage discrepancy.
- Despite utilizing 33 watts more from the motherboard, the NVIDIA RTX 4090 is 10 degrees cooler than the 4080 at 51 degrees Celsius.
God Of War
- God of War, another fantastic game for the NVIDIA RTX 4090, averaged 162 FPS compared to 128 FPS for the 4080.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 produced 26.6% better FPS than the RTX 4080.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 utilized 364 watts, while the 4080 used 298 watts.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4080 ran 4 degrees hotter at 60 degrees Celsius than the 4090 at 56 degrees.
- Both GPUs performed well in Hitman 3, although the RTX 4090 had 182 FPS and the 4080 141 FPS.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 improved this game by 29% by providing more significant than 41 frames per second.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 processor consumed 381 watts, up from 312 watts on the 4080.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 was cooler by 2 degrees, despite the slight difference.
Horizon Zero Dawn
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 delivered 162 FPS, whereas the RTX 4080 delivered 143 FPS.
- In this benchmark, the NVIDIA RTX 4090 outperformed the 4080 by 13%.
- The RTX 4090 utilized 347 watts, while the 4080 used 310 watts.
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 ran more excellently than the RTX 4080 at 52 degrees Celsius compared to 61 degrees Celsius.
Microsoft Flight Simulator
- Since Microsoft Flight Simulator has a lot of images, none of the cards reached 100 FPS, but the RTX 4090 came close to 92 FPS.
- This game’s RTX 4080’s 67 FPS lets its opponent perform 37% better.
- The RTX 4090 used 420 watts, while the 4080 used 301 watts.
- Both chips had 59°C temperatures.
Red Dead Redemption 2
- The NVIDIA RTX 4090 and 4080 averaged 122 and 102 FPS, respectively.
- The RTX 4090 produced frames 20% faster.
- The RTX 4090 used 353 watts—that’s 56 watts more than the 4080.
- Compared to the NVIDIA RTX 4080’s 58 degrees Celsius, the 4090’s 52 degrees Celsius was substantially more fantastic.
Overall Gaming Performance
The NVIDIA RTX 4090 wins the RTX 4080 vs. 4090 matches based only on FPS. It had a higher average, Low 1%, and Low 0.1% FPS. In Spiderman, the RTX 4090’s 16 FPS advantage over the 4080 was the smallest. Hitman 3 was where the RTX 4090 outperformed the 4080, producing 41 more frames per second.
RTX 4080s averaged 107 FPS and 4090s 133 FPS. The RTX 4090 averaged 26 more frames per second than the 4080, a 24.3% increase.
Power Usage And Thermal Statistics
We’ll start this section of our comparison of RTX 4080 vs. RTX 4090 by saying the 4090 is power-hungry. This card’s manufacturer’s TDP rating shows that. 850 W is the recommended power supply for its 450W TDP. RTX 4080s have 320W TDPs and 700W power supplies. The manufacturer’s TDP says the RTX 4090 will always draw 130W higher than the 4080.
The RTX 4090 uses 41% more power than the RTX 4080; therefore, running will cost you more. Our gaming benchmarks showed no difference. Forza Horizon 5, where the RTX 4090 consumed 33 watts more power, minimized this differential the greatest. In Microsoft Flight Simulator, the RTX 4090 used 420 Watts, whereas the 4080 used 301 Watts.
The RTX 4080 used 292 Watts on average in 10 games 4K compared to 360 Watts for the RTX 4090. Check out our RTX 4080 vs. RX 6950 XT guide.
Our RTX 4080 vs. RTX 4090 gaming benchmarks showed that the 4090 produced less heat. This card uses more power than the RTX 4080 but consistently runs cooler in our 4K gaming testing.
A Plague Tale Requiem and Microsoft Flight Simulator had the same card temperature. Microsoft Flight Simulator had the most power usage differential, with the RTX 4090 requiring 119 watts more than the 4080.
While playing Forza Horizon 5, the RTX 4080 was 61 degrees Celsius, and the 4090 was 51 degrees Celsius. The RTX 4090 ran 10 degrees colder, approximately 20% cooler.
The RTX 4080 averages 59 degrees Celsius, and the 4090 55 degrees Celsius in all ten games. The RTX 4090 was 7.3% more efficient at 4 degrees Celsius.
Pricing And Availability
How much will each card cost? The RTX 4080 has lower specs and is cheaper. However, none of these cards are affordable. Compared to other cards, they’re not even mid-tier. NVIDIA’s starting price for the RTX 4080 is $1,199. There are more pricey options. The Gigabyte GeForce RTX 4080 EAGLE OC costs $1,239.
AS With other NVIDIA cards, the ASUS ROG option is the most expensive. On NVIDIA’s website, the ASUS ROG Strix with enhanced clock speed costs $1,549.
The RTX 4090 starts at $1,599 on NVIDIA’s website, and the ASUS version with an Axial-tech cooling system costs $1,799. Based on their founder’s editions, the RTX 4090 is $400 more expensive than the 4080.
If you buy the original card, the RTX 4090 graphics card will cost roughly 33% more.
RTX 4080 Vs RTX 4090: Which One’s For You?
Consider the card’s value before buying. You can’t base your purchase on pricing alone. Value for money is always crucial. Yes, the RTX 4090 costs 33% more than the 4080, but will it deliver your desired performance?
Consider energy bill increases. We determined that the RTX 4090 uses 23% more motherboard power than the RTX 4080, increasing your electricity cost. Even though it generates less heat, the RTX 4080 stays in the “safe” temperature range, so you won’t need extra cooling.
Compared to the RTX 4080, the RTX 4090 is 33% more expensive. However, in our FPS tests, it performed 24.3% better. Therefore, if you choose based on price alone, you’ll sacrifice performance.
You choose the card since it’s your money. The RTX 4080 strikes a good mix between price and performance, while the 4090 is unsurpassed in performance.
The debate between the RTX 4080 and the RTX 4090 is a crescendo of possibilities in the symphony of technology progress. In a time when digital tapestries are made with new threads, the end becomes a canvas that is painted with many different strokes.
As we learn more about how the RTX 4080 is built, it looks like a phoenix of pixel skill. Its performance is like a virtuoso’s sonata, used in high-demand gaming and computing worlds. At the same time, the RTX 4090, which is a titan of visual calm, builds a temple of graphic accuracy. Like a stained-glass window, each frame shows the true nature of things.
In the big picture of choices, the result stands out like a rare gem in the middle of all the choices. The RTX 4080 is a good choice for people who want a good balance between speed and price.
The RTX 4090, on the other hand, is loved by avant-garde fans who don’t have to worry about money. So, the music of choice keeps going, which shows how innovation and ambition work together dynamically.
Do the RTX 4080 and the RTX 4090 have the exact Ada Lovelace architecture?
They are both built on the Ada Lovelace architecture, but the RTX 4090 uses the AD102 GPU, and the RTX 4080 uses the AD103 GPU, which have different limitations regarding die size, transistor count, etc.
Which DLSS version am I getting with the RTX 4090 and the RTX 4080?
With the RTX 4080 and RTX 4090, you get DLSS 3, the third version of this feature.
Does the RTX 4080 have the same memory bandwidth as the RTX 4090?
No, the RTX 4080’s BUS width is only 256 bits, while the RTX 4090’s BUS width is 384.
Is RTX 4090 better than 4080?
As you might expect from the different specs, the RTX 4090 is the more powerful card, providing higher frame rates at all resolutions and detail levels than the RTX 4080, especially when ray tracing is turned on. But that’s not all that happened.
Is there a big difference between RTX 4080 and 4090?
Compared to the RTX 4080, the RTX 4090 has about 68% more CUDA cores and 50% more VRAM. It also has a giant AD102 GPU than the RTX 4080, which has a smaller AD103 GPU. Even though the specs differ, NVIDIA’s launch price shows that the RTX 4090 is only about 33% more expensive than the RTX 4080.